Monday, August 15, 2011

The Manituw

The Manituw by Lisbeth Jenkins
Amber Allure
Short Novella: 98pages
3 out of 5

Blurb:
When researcher Robert Silsbury reaches Bonnenuit, Newfoundland, and finds his charter boat captain in jail, the British oceanographer has no idea that he's come face to face with the man who will steal his heart. At first, however, his instinct is to hire someone else for the job.

July Cyr, the illegitimate son of First Nations and white parents, barely makes a living from Americans who charter his ancient tugboat, the Manituw, for sightseeing tours of icebergs and whales off the coast of Newfoundland. He hopes that the handsome young scientist who hired him will prove to be the first piece of good luck he's had in a long time.

Passion flares immediately, but love is built on trust, and both men have secrets. Together they must deal with a dangerous rescue at sea, a violent gang, and the scars of their own tragic pasts while they struggle to build a relationship that will span both sides of the Atlantic.


Short Review:
Another one of those short stories, with some serious hard-hitting content, covered in a few pages. Overall, it just makes every situation a light one, when it should have been heavy. I enjoyed the authors writing but I was just disappointed in the story telling. I wanted more anger from the MC, but he just took everything.

I am just saying, if people are kicking my ass and being all-racist about it. I will eventually fight back, beat me up because you hate me or I stole your man or something. Just don’t hate on me because of my heritage. Eventually I would have pushed them into the freezing water, turn on the boat engine on their asses and call that shit an accident. They deserved nothing better.

Overall, a decent story but I just wanted more; something was definitely missing. I think I just needed more time and I wanted more from July, he had not really reached his potential. The sex was hot, not scorching but still packed a small punch. I would like a revisit of these characters in hopes that they have grown.
 

2 1/2 Pants Off
 Go Ahead Take Those Pants Off






No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!