Friday, September 23, 2011

Black Gold

Black Gold by Clancy Nacht and Thursday Euclid
Loose-Id
Novel
3 out of 5
2/5 PL Scale

Blurb:
Billy “Goldie” Goldean is the biggest pop star in the world and he’s harboring a terrible, career-killing secret: he’s gay. Even with song titles such as “Astral Glider” and “Winking Brown Eye,” few question Goldie’s squeaky clean teen heartthrob status. That is, until Jethro “Jett” Black, an infamous womanizer and underground punk icon, names him in the pages of Rolling Stone magazine as the celebrity he’d most like to fuck.

After they hook up at an industry party, Goldie’s management dumps him, Jett’s exes come back to haunt them, and even Goldie’s mother makes a public plea for him to come to his senses. Can Goldie trust his untamed new lover, or will the pressures of fame tear them apart?


Review:
This book reads like a yaoi manga. It offers up outrageous characters, a larger than life story and leaves you feeling like most situations are never resolved. The book had the potential to be perfection, but overly described and elaborated scenes just left me rolling my eyes.

Billy Goldean is the biggest pop star in the world. Known as Goldie, he has teenage girls eating out of his hands and going putty at his feet. His life is glam star rich and he looks like he has it all. He has the looks, the money and undying fan following. Well, there is a lot more at the surface of it all, seems Goldie life is only glamorous in the materialistic way, and his true self is hidden behind all the make-up and glam squad clothing. Until an article in rolling stone gets his interest and ultimately might change his life.

Jett Black is sitting in dingy motel talking with an up and coming reporter for Rolling Stone magazine. He’s the bad boy of underground rock, and the man that gets all the women. He would rather be famous for his music, but instead he’s famous for his conquests. When the reporter asks about the one person he would like to sleep with, his answer is both shocking and sexy. He’s a ladies man and to say he wants the hottest pop star in the world, his fans and Goldie’s fans are in for a surprise.

Billy is super happy about what Jett wants to do with him, but the downside is no one knows he is gay, he might be the hottest shit in the world but he is overly insecure. When a label meeting in an upscale penthouse is becoming all sorts of wrong, Jett crashes in all foaming at the mouth, and becomes Goldie’s knight in shining black liner.

As I said before this book had the potential of being perfection, but the overly dramatic scenes and dialogue just made it an ok read. I feel like nothing was resolved and that is still left, is the flawed characters and their insecurities. There were times when I really liked Jett, but he kills it with his obnoxious behaviour, and drunken rants. I am talking outrageous like a Lady Gaga outfit.

The relationship between Jett and Goldie I found a bit confusing. They say they love each other, but clearly both find it hard to believe. I found nothing sexy about their lovemaking, I rather they dirty talk it up. I am just clearly not satisfied and I really hope the authors revisit these characters again. Jett kinda pisses me off, and I want Goldie to have more balls (and by balls, I mean standing up for himself without the aid of Jett. I don’t mean I think of him as a woman). I guess my dislike comes from the fact, that Jett is always inebriated. I just did not like that aspect of the story, it was too much all the time.
 

SideNote- The cover clearly is very pretty. I did enjoy Goldie's description, I can honestly say I do enjoy my men pretty.
 

SideNote2- As you can see I am really liking the word clearly,lol.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!