Friday, March 23, 2012

Power In The Blood by Angelia Sparrow

Power in the Blood by Angelia Sparrow
Storm Moon Press
Novel: 171pages
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Blurb:
Oren Stolt understands the natural order better than most people. Vampires prey on humans and Undying keep the vampires' numbers in check.

Until now.

Now, across the United States, vampire numbers are exploding, thanks to a new church. The Tabernacle of the Firstfruits preaches a Risen Lord and invites believers to follow Him in death and resurrection... quite literally.

In Memphis, the church is about to host its first conference, with an eye to converting the whole world to the vampiric gospel.

And all that stands between humanity and eternal night is Oren, his kids, and a thin line of insane immortals.


Review:
Crazy Religious Fanatic Vampires: $0 dollars
Characters that never die: $0 dollars
Blood and destruction in the name of Religion: $0 dollars
My face when I realize that I might not be intellectually able to write a review for this awesmazingness O_O: Priceless


So how to go about reviewing this without writing a two page review, but still giving you enough to get excited in your pants will be tough. I like Miss Angelia’s writing from when I read 'Songs for Guitar and French Harp’ which I loved so much. I loved this book too, its outrageous, yet offers up small doses of realism. Who would think that mixing vamps and religion would make such a terrific story?

Oren is a Breather, which means he’s an Undying just waiting to happen. Undying are immortals (as they can never die) and they hunt and kill vamps. Oren can’t imagine a fate worst than living forever, so he makes sure that he never dies the violent death that will begin the change. He also wants the same for his six kids, he wants them to grow old and die naturally instead of being stuck in young bliss forever. The Undying Council would like for him and his kids throw out the Breather status, but that’s the least of Oren problems. Vampires are on the rise in his town, and the numbers seems to be growing rapidly. It seems that there is Christian vampire cult, hell bent on changing the entire world into vampires. Now Oren is about to be waist deep in Undying because as much as he doesn’t like them, he’s gonna need their help to save the world.

There is so much going on in this story, that it’s impossible to sum it up in a review (I could just be lazy). There’s also many p.o.vs going on, which can sometimes be so annoying in other books, but these characters are so unique and entertaining that you want to know every single thing about them all. Its like this expert way of never missing a single thing within the story, I felt like I was apart of every single detail, and so nothing every felt like it didn’t make sense.

In the beginning (sounds familiar?), I was shocked when I was reading male/female loving, and I had to go and do a double check but then I realized it’s a bi-sexual novel and that’s alright in my book. Because this book was never about sex, though it does offer up this light quality to sex and never becomes anything too serious. This is also one action based book, with blood, gore, and crazies. I thought it fantastic all that blood and violence, and then throw in the word of God, and people we have a winner. People have done and will continue to do evil/good things all in the name of religion and I think the author created that balance perfectly. It was funny, and slightly twisted, yet perfectly respectful through it all.

Overall, all types of greatness going on in this book. It is just plain insane in the membrane, and I have a worldwide crush on like everyone in this book. Whether they’re missing limbs or not! The women in this novel are fantastic, ass kicking and super smart. Its great representation of girl power, we can kick butt like the rest of them and down our liqueur like a true warrior. I’m going to stop ranting now, because quite honestly I don’t feel the need to stop. Power in the Blood is a roundhouse kick of awesomeness!

SideNote- I can see this making a great graphic novel. Oren and his brood of six all decked out in weapons. Plus all that carnage and Undying action would look awesome.


4 1/2 Pants Off


1 comment:

  1. LOL, Darien. I've been waiting for your review of this. I loved the book too and I agree that it's a tough one to review because there's so much happening in it. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and talk to me!