Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Symphony of Echoes by Cecilia Ryan

A Symphony of Echoes by Cecilia Ryan
Silver Publishing
Novel: 163pages
Rating: 4 out of 5

Blurb:
History professor Eric Spears has grown disillusioned with the academic life he's always been a part of. But when a young man called Arthur starts attending his lectures, he finds his enthusiasm renewed by this unregistered student. For the first time in a long while, Eric longs for a real lover and companion, instead of the casual affairs he's used to. He gets his wish under surprising circumstances, but their blossoming relationship is not without its problems.

Complications arise when Percy, another student of Eric's, begins to take too much of an interest in both of them. Will Eric and Arthur's relationship survive Percy's machinations? Or will Eric lose him due to his own insecurity?

Review:
I am surprised out of mind, about how awesome I found this book. Once I started this book, I just could not stop reading until it was all finished. The story captivates with its gentleness and sweetness, but not too sweet. A perfect balance was created, and it just flowed so well. As much as I enjoyed this story, I feel like something was missing and more than half way through, the plot felt rushed and safe.

Eric is History professor, and he has love/hate relationship with teaching. I guess it could be blames on his students, who sit in class like boring cardboard boxes, and hardly show enthusiasm for the course. Until there was Arthur, though he isn’t officially enrolled in the university, his enthusiasm for learning is exciting to Eric, on both an intellectual level, and an excitement in his pants (I know about those).

You can tell by looking at Arthur that he doesn’t have much in the way of possessions, but he is smart boy and Eric wants to help without pushing the boy away. He gets his opportunity to invite Arthur home, when he finds him asleep in his office, though Arthur is sceptical he just got an invitation to a warm place, he’s not stupid in turning that down.

What develops is a beautiful relationship between both men. Though Eric is literally twice Arthur’s age, it pales in comparison to the things they have in common and how well they get along. You would think the story would become all about sex, but sex takes a backseat to the developing relationship, that is one of friendship and a growing love.

A little conflict is thrown in by `Percy` a student of Eric’s who seems to have it out for him. This is the part that threw me; I would have rather him be crazy in love with Eric, than what his actual vendetta was. It all felt too rushed, and as if I am missing something, I guess I just wanted more, because I really like Eric and Arthur (they are just super sweet). They make my heart feel super happy!

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I would love to see more of Eric and Arthur again. Their relationship is budding and beautiful one and I want more. I also really enjoy the author's writing style, it snarky and funny and I like it.

4 Pants Off

2 comments:

  1. I love that cover with the smiling guy. That's something we don't see enough. They're always trying too hard to be all smoldering and sexy but I'd buy this one on the cover alone! Great review - now I have another to add to the enormous WL of books I don't have to read, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read anything by this author before. Sounds good. I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and talk to me!