Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Country Mouse by Aleksandr Voinov & Amy Lane

Country Mouse by Amy Lane & Aleksandr Voinov
Riptide Publishing
Short Novella: 79pgs
Rating: 4/5

Blurb:
Owen may be a bit of a country mouse, but he’s loving his vacation in London. After a long day playing tourist, he’s on the hunt for some cheap beer and a good burger. Instead he finds a man hunting him, an arrogant prick with only one thing on the brain: the kind of meat that doesn’t come on a bun.

Eighty-hour weeks at a trading desk don’t leave Malcolm Kavanagh much time for meaningful relationships. Besides, in his world, everything’s a competition—even sex. When his newest one-night-sub fails to show, Malcolm sets his sights on the pretty young Yank on the bar stool beside him.

Owen’s all for an adventure with a native, but he’s not the pushover Malcolm thinks he is, and Malcolm’s not as shallow as he tries to be. They both soon learn that nothing's too intimate to share with a stranger, and the strangest things happen when two people share the most important pieces of their hearts.


Review: 
So some crazy shit happened! Amy Lane and Aleks Voinov wrote a book together. I know what you’re thinking ‘OMFG! Am I gonna die of angst? Will someone be dying, getting raped? Will I be crying; will I throw my e-reader?’ The answer is no folks, you will be freaking smiling and losing your pants all over the place. I can see your shocked faces, the WTF faces, of are we talking about the same Amy Lane and Mr Voinov. It’s them alright, and it comes through in the writing.

Owen is vacationing in Europe, and currently checking out the sites London has to offer. His tour guide, also his ex-girlfriend hooked up with an old flame and Owen has to entertain himself in a city he doesn’t know. He finds himself in a seedy bar, with questionable looking beverages and drinking glasses. Owen says what the heck, might as well just kick it, until the over confident man approaches him and offers him a drink. Owen is unsure if he’s feeling the sexy stranger, but what the hell he’s on vacation.

Malcolm has just been stood up by his sub, when he spots the ‘Yank’ and he’s just looking to get off. He thinks he can top the crap out of Owen cus he has that look, but clearly Malcolm called this one wrong. Owen is so much more than he anticipated, and is bringing out a side in him that he prefers to keep hidden.

The guys hook up, and let me just say hells never been hotter, or sugar any sweeter. Malcolm and Owen pull out surprises and you can see what character belonged to which author.  It’s surprising that the author, who gave us Talker, presented us Owen. Or the man who wrote Silvio blessed us with Malcolm. Though not the same level of memorability, but fuck they are just so much fun. I am talking about going all Julie Andrews with “the hills are alive with the sound of music” birds chirping and just feeling so good you can’t help but smiling.

I have to say that Malcolm is my fave because he pretends to be all toppy and ‘I am an island’ but he just wants to be lurved. Plus, I love a man in glasses it's my very own Krytonite. Owen is so cute, and he might be country but he throws down like a big city boy. We can’t forget that London sets the tone for these guys to fall for each other. The description of all that awesome would have me salivating over my sexy tour guide. And they say Paris is the city of love, obviously they never toured the streets of London.

Overall, I really enjoyed Country Mouse! It made me smile, and lose my pants all in the same bloody paragraph. Owen and Malcolm truly are a delight and I would love to read about them again.

Real Talk:
I am just loving this dynamic duo and I hope they have something for us in the future. If they decide to write the angst, and bring the sad and tortured. I am not worried, I have a defibrillator on hand and I’m not afraid to use it.  


4 Pants Off


4 comments:

  1. I LOVED this short work! I am with you on seeing more from this pair. Enjoy each of their work and was pleasantly surprised when they collaborated so well. Plus I just want to see more of Owen and Malcolm ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love to give people what they want!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I know what you’re thinking ‘OMFG! Am I gonna die of angst? Will someone be dying, getting raped? Will I be crying; will I throw my e-reader?’"

    LOL. That's exactly what I was thinking. Will definitely be checking out this collaboration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your reviews..and had to read it..OMG WOW! Love it! Though in my opinion, it should have been a 5/5. Love the ending. It's so cute~ Too bad it wasn't longer.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and talk to me!