Thursday, May 24, 2012

King Perry by Edmond Manning

King Perry by Edmond Manning
Dreamspinner Press
Novel: 343pgs
Rating: 5/5

Blurb:
In a trendy San Francisco art gallery, out-of-towner Vin Vanbly witnesses an act of compassion that compels him to make investment banker Perry Mangin a mysterious offer: in exchange for a weekend of complete submission, Vin will restore Perry’s “kingship” and transform him into the man he was always meant to be.

Despite intense reservations, Perry agrees, setting in motion a chain of events that will test the limits of his body, seduce his senses, and fray his every nerve, (perhaps occasionally breaking the law) while Vin guides him toward his destiny as ”the one true king.”

Even as Perry rediscovers old grief and new joys within himself, Vin and his shadowy motivations remain enigmas: who is this offbeat stranger guiding them from danger to hilarity to danger? To emerge triumphant, Perry must overcome the greatest challenge alone: embracing his devastating past. But can he succeed by Sunday’s sunrise deadline? How can he possibly evolve from an ordinary man into King Perry?


Review:
This book is an experience of epic proportions, and it took me such a long time to get into the book I totally thought I wouldn’t like it. Then from page 204 and on I was spellbound. It took sometime for me to get into the characters, and maybe I was a little apprehensive because I knew I was going to cry for something *when I’m moved I cry*. I’m glad I stuck with it, because King Perry made me feel, it made me love.

Vin Vanbly is sarcastic, a trickster, and such an interesting character that you want to know more about him. He’s a king, and not one of those that rule over a monarchy. It’s his energy, the way he loves people, and his gift to recognize that energy in others. He recognizes that energy in Perry Mangin, who is unable to recognize it within himself. So he begins the steps to King Perry.

You’re probably wondering how the flying feck he’ll be able to it, how do you king someone? Let me tell you folks it’s an adventure like nothing I have ever read, like nothing I have ever felt. From the dark night of Alcatraz, to the wonder of The Golden Gate bridge, the awesomeness of ducknapping, and celebrating on a mountain. It’s a journey of one man finding his kingdom, forgiving but never forgetting the circumstances that have shaped his life. Also, it’s Vin’s story of awesomeness and his guide to teaching a king and discovering a little about himself along the way.

The plot is over the top but it’s spellbinding, the writing is lyrical if a little carry on. Sometimes it borders the line of over dramatic, but it’s charming and makes you wanna get up and do something crazy. Something exciting because you’re fuck tired of doing nothing! A longing in the heart for a King/Queen weekend where shit don’t make sense but you could care fucking less.

King Perry Says…

You don’t have to be in love to love, you don’t even have to know the person.

Sometimes you got to open your eyes and just see

Life is a box of chocolates and you can stuff your face and freaking enjoy it


Though it took me awhile to get into the story, I completely love it! It has been written that this is not a romance, but I don’t know… It felt like one to me. Perry falls in love with the city, he falls in love with the people, and he falls in love with Vin. Because romance is love and this book is love. So yeh, there’s no neatly wrapped HEA but man did I feel the love.

King Perry is an experience not to be missed, and like the cover and a significant part of the book, you will want to stand up and rejoice. To my late grandfather who always called me princess, ‘well grandpapa your princess feels like a Queen’.

“Have you ever done anything so significantly outrageous, so beautiful and insane, that on days when your life feels dull, these shining moments leap out? Do you have an answer to the question ‘Did I live? Did I touch the world?” Vin..
5 Pants Off


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was so awesome! Thugh it take me awhile to really get into it, I'm so glad I stuck with it. Makes me want to just go and DO!

      Delete

Go ahead and talk to me!