Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Review: The Last Grand Master by Andrew Q. Gordon

Reviewed by Fehu
The Last Grand Master (Champion of the Gods #1) by Andrew Q. Gordon
Dreamspinner Press
Novel: 350pgs
3 Pants Off

Blurb:
In a war that shook the earth, the Six gods of Nendor defeated their brother Neldin, god of evil. For the three thousand years since, Nendor and the Seven Kingdoms have known peace and prosperity.

But then a new wizard unleashes the power of Neldin. Meglar, wizard king of Zargon, uses dark magic to create an army of creatures to carry out his master's will.

One by one, the sovereign realms fall. Soon the only wizard who can stop Meglar is Grand Master Farrell, the Prince of Haven, the hidden home of refugees. An untried wizard, Farrell carries a secret that could hold the key to defeating Meglar—or it could destroy the world.

While helping Nerti, queen of the unicorns, Farrell saves Miceral, an immortal muchari warrior the Six have chosen to be Farrell's mate. But Farrell approaches love with caution, and before he can decide how to proceed, Meglar invades a neighboring kingdom. Farrell and Miceral find themselves in the middle of the battle. Farrell pushes himself to the limit as he and Miceral fight not only to stop Meglar but for their very survival.


Review:
I think this might be a book that depends on what the reader likes, book chemistry if you will. Some people like melodrama; others prefer a lot of action or other like a smooth romance story. Well I love fantasy stories, the longer the better, but they do have to have something in them to actually attract and hold my attention and it doesn't have to be the story itself. If I like the characters, a pairing, a special hero, then I will be happy to read on, even if the story doesn't interest me as much. Here the characters didn't draw me in from the start, but I hope since it's the first book in a series that they will grow on me in time.  Honestly if one doesn't mind a mostly uncomplicated romance story with a fantasy setting, then this just might be the book for them. I have friends who don't like complicated stories, me, I prefer some action and excitement to spice it up, but since it all might come in the next book, I'm keeping an open mind.

Farrell is the Last Grand Wizard and the Prince of Heaven, with his deity who sounds suspiciously like Horus; he gets a visit from a unicorn, who takes him to the place where he is needed and where he is supposed to meet his fated mate. The army of the evil Wizard Meglar have surrounded the city of Northhelm. It all happens pretty fast and so Farrell has to battle against an army, wizards and dark magical creatures.

Not a bad start! BUT I wish he didn't beat them so easily! I don't mind powerful characters, but Farrell appears to be all powerful. The romance part starts there as well and I had nearly given up hope after I've read the scene where Farrell meets Miceral, since it looked like instant-love. Thankfully after they left the city and fled to Heaven, the romance did slow down and they decided to get to know each other first and it was not all a smooth ride!

To get back to book chemistry, the writing didn't flow, I looked at the page count and a lot happened, a lot of characters were introduced but there are no real problems there and I didn't get the sense of danger or suspense that should have been there. While the word building is interesting, the plot evil father against son is not exactly new, it's all in the details to make a difference and this book has a lot of descriptive details, but it failed to emotionally engage me, because all felt a bit too easy and constructed. Like I said before this is, the first book in a series, so I hope I will get my suspense and drama in the next books!

3 Pants Off

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to read and for the review. I appreciate the helpful comments about what didn't work and more importantly why it didn't work. They will be useful to me as I work on the second draft of book two.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and talk to me!